Monday, March 29, 2010

Well look who we have here!


We had a little bit of excitement at our house on Saturday night. At around 1.30 in the morning, we woke to hear our side gate being almost shaken off its hinges. The dog was barking, we flew out of bed, half asleep and wondering what we'd find outside, but it wasn't quite what we expected at all:


Now it's nothing unusual to have koalas in our backyard. We have over two acres of gum trees, and more often than not there are koalas here most of the time. What was unusual was that this little one decided to squeeze under the gate, probably to get away from the amorous male in the next tree to hers, and managed to get stuck in the process.




After finally wriggling under the gate, she found herself stuck in the fenced section of our backyard. So, in the middle of the night, hubby had to remove one of the fence panels to let her out.

all images driftwood interiors

The next morning she was there, snoozing happily and oblivious to the ruckus she'd caused the night before!
 I do love the fact that we have koalas in our backyard, and never take it for granted. Sadly, in the years we've lived here we've noticed their numbers have been dwindling, so while ever they're still around I'm happy.

Just a run of the mill way to start the week hey?

But make sure you pop in tomorrow, I'll be back with a little update on my 'Perfect Queenslander' post, so stay tuned!

Happy Monday,
Kerri xx




14 comments:

  1. You are so lucky...well your hubby probably doesn't think so with his nocturnal renovations! Who doesn't love a koala? I still have a stuffed one I got when I was 5 years old! Have a lovely day gorgeous and look forward to reading about that Queenslander tomorrow. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved reading your story!!Koala are such cute little creatures
    I wish you a happy start to your week and look forward to your next post!
    xx Flaviana

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great! One of the things I love most about Australia is the array of wildlife you encounter in your very own backyard. Thsnks for sharing photos!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, how fantastic that you get to see koalas in the wild Kerri! My hubby occasionally sees one walk past his wondow out at the Uni here in Armidale, but I have never seen one in the wild. What cutie :) Hope you have a wonderful day ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's so exciting! I would love to have Koalas in my back yard. We have a gum tree big enough to house half the world's population of Koalas but I've never seen one in our national park which we boarder. We have bandicoots, ringtail and brushtail possums, bats, bush turkeys and rabbits but nothing as exciting as Koalas.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos of your furry friends.
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting night! Koala's are so cute and it is sad that they are reducing in numbers! You are very fortunate to be able o enjoy them in their natural habitat. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely story, hope you don't mind but stop over my blog I passed on an award for you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treat, well done for looking after her..Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank god you were up to save her, well done. Great story for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are such beautiful creatures. And you are very kind! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG... that is some excitement!! So very cool! All I usually have outside is a stray cat or barking dog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What? That is crazy, I am so jealous that cutie is in your backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first time I have read a post on a blog about a koala. Love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, we consider ourselves so lucky to have koalas in our backyard, we love it. Next time we have a little baby here I'll make sure I post some more photos - they are just gorgeous!
    K xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails