Friday, March 5, 2010

Bathroom - Before & After





Hi all,

When my husband and I moved to Brissie, we dreamt of one day finding a small acreage property, not too far from the city, to put down roots and start a family. My husband is a shift worker and on weekends, when he was at work, I would jump in the car and go exploring, looking for the perfect place.

Well, one day I found just the thing. It was only five minutes from everything but felt like it was a world away. I drove down what looked like a little country road, lined with gum trees, and found what we'd been looking for. After racing to the real estate agent, I soon discovered that this little gem of a place was way out of our price range. But the seed was firmly planted and I decided that one day we would find something we could afford.

Fast forward nine years, two houses and three children, we went looking again and found just the house. It was on a couple of acres, with a fireplace and cathedral ceilings, and had loads of potential. It was soon ours and away we went. But we definitely got a little more than we bargained for. Leaking water tanks, a pool filter that didn't filter, wildlife both outside and inside (including snakes, frogs, water dragons and possums) and a whole lot of renovation work.

 

Besides lots of behind-the-scenes stuff that no-one but us (and our bank balance) can appreciate, our biggest renovation to date is our main family bathroom. We had to replace all exterior plumbing, knock out and replace interior walls, move windows - we actually gutted the room and started from scratch.


 

Well, we've finally finished the bathroom, bar a few finishing touches. My new plantation shutters should arrive next week, and i have some artwork and a towel rail to hang, but the main work is complete. 


 
  
  

Now the main bath is done, we're about to start on the ensuite. I'm trying to decide whether to stick to a similar theme as the main as far as colour goes, or to lash out a bit and really get creative. Somehow I'm really decisive when it comes to clients' homes, but when there's so much gorgeous stuff to choose from I find it really hard to decide for myself! What are your thoughts? I'd love to know what you'd do.

Have a great weekend everyone, hopefully the rain up here will give us a little reprieve over the weekend.

Kerri x



 All photos Driftwood Interiors

7 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks amazing, very spa like. You've done a wonderful job and it sounds like it was hard work. I love reno stories.. We're going to do something different in the ensuite when we eventually get there. Maybe use colours I wasn't 'brave' enough to in the main bathroom. Have a lovely evening, hope the rain does ease up for you (that is hard for a Victorian to say, given our generally pitiful rainfall!) Rachael x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Rachael. I tried to design something timeless and relaxed, but it does have to be pretty tough as we have three teenagers and they give it quite a workout! I think you're right about the ensuite - as it's just for us and it's tucked away I think you can afford to be brave and also maybe use some more luxe materials.
    I don't begrudge the rain, as we rely solely on tank water here, but I hate to see the tanks overflow. Just a week's break would be great.
    Hope it heads south for you, and you have a great weekend too.
    Kerri x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new bathrooms is gorgeous Kerri! Love the colour scheme you've gone with. We've sort of done the opposite to your guys (ensuite first, bathroom next on our to-do list). I've been thinking with our place that I'll use a similar colour palette for this next renovation in terms of tiles and wall colour but will go for something different with our accessories. Looking forward to more posts on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amanda, you're too sweet. We went with those colours because I really wanted limestone, but it needs regular sealing and maintenance, so it was just too much of a risk when essentially it would be used mainly by three teenagers. I would have loved to do the ensuite first - it was seriously no fun having everyone traipse throught our bedroom to have a shower! Thank goodness we have a separate toilet. Great idea on the accessories, it will tie the whole scheme in nicely but still give a point of difference.
    Have a great weekend
    Kerri x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds a little like our story, but in Tassie. Our house in from 1886 and as you may know our bathroom is one of our major projects too...and it is still going.
    Your bathroom has come up great and I really like the double sink and the full glass frameless screen.
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerri thank you for your lovely comments over @ The Hedge. I showed MOTH & he was very chuffed. Yes, a 70's/80's house is certainly a challenge, but if it's the perfect location as they often are, then it really is worth the effort. Congrats on your stunning bathroom! Don't be afraid to hide internal exposed brick walls & pine panelling with lots of paint, it's been the best thing we've ever done!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely comments Ness and Millie.

    Ness, I'm very jealous, I've always wanted an old Queenslander but they're few and far between further out of Brisbane. And as far as I'm concerned I'd have no shower screen at all if I could help it!

    Millie, I couldn't agree more on the paint. We've painted half of the walls so far and the difference is huge. Just two more walls, and the pine cathedral ceilings, and everything dark and dingy will be banished forever. I forgot to mention my hubbie did a lot of the building work and all of the tiling in the bathroom, and I've shown him your MOTH's work and he is mighty impressed! Of course, we are the all important brains trust behind the scenes!
    Thanks again for the encouragement ladies,
    Kerri x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails