Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My project revealed...with a twist

Remember this post, when I mentioned a project I was working on - the finishing touches to the makeover of my youngest daughter's bedroom? Well, by now you've probably realised things took a little longer than expected, but in retrospect I'm glad I took my time. This reveal has a bit of a twist, which I'll explain shortly, but first - take a look at my hand-painted floor rug:






When I first posted about this project, I'd designed this pattern to use in my daughter's room. Of course, once I got started I realised it was a lot more involved than first thought  - I know, I know - why are you not surprised? Anyway, I've decided to take my time with it, as it will be a major design element in her room. But I did happen to have a large piece of canvas in my studio, which proved to be the perfect warm-up to the main event. Btw, please ignore the creases on the right-hand side - the canvas has been stored in my studio and I was too impatient to let it straighten out before I took these pics!



The hardest part of this whole exercise is the placement of the pattern. In any project like this, it's really obvious if the design is out of alignment, so geometry played a big part in getting it just right. Pity I didn't retain stuff like this instead of those useless phone numbers!

Over the years, I've made many of these canvas floor rugs, and they're so versatile, not to mention practical. I always finish mine with a good few coats of varnish, which means the design is protected and the rug can be scrubbed clean. They're perfect for kids' rooms, and can be simply rolled up and stored away. One of my clients commissioned me to paint custom- designed rugs for her kids, and when they grow out of them, she plans to keep them to pass on to her grandchildren. How sweet is that?



oh, and they're not just for the floor either!

Hope you enjoyed the reveal, in spite of it being not quite what you expected. And if anyone is interested in a custom-designed rug, please drop me a line - I'd love to make one for you. Have a great day, and for those of you having a little wager on today's Melbourne Cup, best of luck! 

 

*all images and designs copyright Driftwood Interiors.

28 comments:

  1. This is my daughter's idea of class!! We might be in for a makeover too!!!... well done. Looks beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my giddy great aunt! That is simply stunning. I love the design, the colour, the placement...everything! Speechless...which is a major feat, believe me! You are the queen of art and geometry now :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever you!
    It looks terrific, which is your hallmark style.

    Felicity x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kerri, it is positively divine. Hmm, thinking, thinking... how to scheme one into my life. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that rug you are making. Did you design the stencil. i have to say your math skills served you well as they seem to be perfectly spaced apart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a fantastic idea Kerri! Love that you can use it for a rug and wall hanging xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing Kerri. I'm assuming the whole thing is hand-painted. You must have the patience of Job! I'm sure there's a market out there for these.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever Kerri & a lovely touch for your studio. The anticipation is building waiting to see your daughters bedroom make over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great job. Good luck on the cup
    Kind Regards
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning from a grey and not-so-Springlike Sydney!

    I love it Kerri! It looks amazing and you've done such a fantastic job! I love the rug and I can imagine it took a lot of time making the pattern so neat and balanced. I am very impressed my dear!!

    How much do you charge for one that can be used on a table? Perhaps 1m 60cm long and 1m wide (or similar)?

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turned out great!!! I love it on the wall like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I love it Kerri. I adore that trellis cushion too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kerri!!!! Is there anything you can't do??? I love it, that design is stunning and you've done such a good job with lining it up. I've never thought of using canvas as a rug like that and how pretty does it look as a wall hanging behind your lounge.
    Well done my sweet!
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it Kerri, I think it would look fab behind my guest bed the best. The placement would be hard to judge but you did a prefect job. Well done.xK

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an unusual yet very practical idea! I'd never have thought of doing someting like this, but as you say, perfect for a children's room, especially if it's their play room as well.
    Your patern is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The rug is beautiful! Wow, you must have a LOT of patience. And awesome math skills to get all the measurements just right!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. P for Precision
    E for Exquisite
    R for Remarkable
    F for Fabulous
    E for Exotic
    C for Clever
    T for Terrific

    All of this spells Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous Kerri - such a lovely pattern... your daughter is very lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  19. amazing work! the detailing phew. wish I hade that much patience :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great job you have done Kerri. Love it on the wall!
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The rug is gorgeous and the symmetry is perfect. What a very elegant design too. You are so talented Kerri- just love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is just amazing, I love it, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kerri your rug is beautiful!! I love the idea of being able to pass these rugs on to grandchildren at some point. Truly gorgeous!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is beautiful Kerri, I love the design and I really like it on the wall. Mimi x

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is absolutely astounding, Kerri! I'm one of your newest followers (via Kerry) and am so impressed with what I see. It's such an innovative idea - bravo you. J x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous! I love the variety of pillows...I LOVE pillows! And the rug is wonderful! ♥

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails