Monday, November 29, 2010

Pool renovation - the saga continues

Why do I do it? Leave things until the last minute, that is. Life has been insanely busy this last year, but of course, trying to organise the refurb of our pool in the lead-up to Christmas is nothing short of crazy. That's just how we roll here I guess, but next time, please remind me to tackle something like this at a more sensible time...namely in the middle of winter perhaps?

First point of call over the weekend was a visit to choose our pool tiles. Now, one thing I've learned is that this is very different from choosing tiles for your bathroom or kitchen renovation. You see, there are lots of factors to take into account when choosing colours for a pool. The surrounding area, paving materials and colours, the shape and style of your pool, natural light......and the list goes on. Usually, I'm fairly decisive and once I choose which 'look' I'm going for, the rest falls into place. But this time, the process was agonising! Glass mosaic, travertine, mother-of-pearl...there are so many lovely options, it's so hard to decide on just one.


although our pool is freeform and not formal like this, the colour scheme is the one I've gone for - light interior with a dark charcoal border tile.

actually, this is nothing like ours, but I do like the whole indoor/outdoor feel



 glass panels will replace some of our existing fencing




...and we'll be adding a new deck to the area as well

I'll share some of the horrible before shots with you all later today (brace yourselves!) but for now that's a little update on the saga. I'm banking on it being all being done and dusted in the next week or so, now the weather is heating up (at long last) and we can't have an Aussie xmas without our pool. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Enjoy your day,

Kerri 

18 comments:

  1. Oh Kerri. I am sure it does not feel like it at the moment, but all of this hassle will be so worth it in the end!! Hang in there and I cannot wait to see the end result, I hope you will show us:D Huge hugs for a fabulous Monday ~ Txx P.S: Fingers are crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you're not me...I would have probably gone for a patchwork effect with all those tile choices! No, probably not. Really.
    It's cold, wet and miserable here so looking at all those pools has made me green with envy my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loove your pool!! Ah so jealous, it's freezing here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the whole process Kerri. Does the pool currently have decking around it? If not, think twice about it... We have just re-done the decks at our rental - $$$. Next time I will use pavers or something similar. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE the idea of using glass instead of fencing, i've always sort of hated that pools have to be fenced in... although i absolutely understand it's necessary.

    can't wait to see how it all turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kerri, A couple of years ago I was doing exactly the same thing - stressing about getting the pool ready for Christmas. I went for charcoal waterline tiles and really love it. I'd choose them again in a flash. Good luck, fingers crossed you get it done. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get it done in time for Christmas, though how some tradies work (or don't work) it could be a nail biting time! I'm looking forward to the 'before' shots and then the 'after' shots SOON after!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you can get it all out of the way before Christmas. I like the glass 'fence' panel idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck Kerri, hope it happens before xmas for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck Kerri, I can't wait to see the before and after shots. Mimi x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting, looks like you have been very busy making lots of choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pools are gorgeous. I bet you can't wait to use it when it's done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kerri, as part of 'phase one' of our reno. we had to refurb our pool too. I know what you are going through ..... but I can also tell you it is worth is - right down to the $1200 is cost us to merely fill it with water again!! Roll on summer. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol you are one crazy woman doing a renovation of any kind at this time of the year:). My advice is when someone comes to do a job don't let them leave until it's finished. You may never see them again if they leave. Use Tim-Tams as bribery to stay. Or if necessary a bribe of a carton of beer if they stay and finish the job lol. Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck Kerri, I hope the weather continues to cooperate! Nicolex

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck Kerrie. Fingers crossed. Sounds like you have done the hard part- choosing the colours...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look forward to the final result. Hope the reno goes smoothly from here on. I would love a pool, or even a nice outdoor area - I guess the paddocks and lawn will suffice for now!! Fingers crossed for the weather.
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails