Monday, May 2, 2011

Something's Gotta Give...

Hi all, how's things? I've been under the weather for the past week, so I spent the time planning and plotting the design of my new/revamped house. Like many millions of other die-hard fans, I fell in love with the film "Something's Gotta Give"... in particular, that stunning Hamptons home of Erica's. I've watched the DVD endlessly to savour every little morsel of the design....so many gorgeous details, I could go on for ever. But there are a few common elements that crop up again and again in my inspiration folders, that will definitely make their way into my plan.

1. Comfy white slipcovered sofas...and a blue and white striped rug



2. Windows...one of the most important features of a home, IMHO. Love these, complete with transoms (hello A-M!!)



3. White subway tiles, stainless appliances, feature lighting


4. This bedroom....quite perfect actually. I might change the windows for french doors, but that's about it.

all images courtesy of the wonderful Joni and Linda of Cote de Texas and Silver Screen Surroundings

I thought I'd found every post ever written on this house, so imagine how excited I was to stumble upon a floor plan, drafted by a fan and shared on Linda Merrill's fabulous blog, Silver Screen Surroundings. Although it's a fan's interpretation of the design, it's a pretty good one if you ask me. Pity there's not an actual plan from the movie set...if anyone manages to come across one, I'd love it if you'd share it!



Now, my design won't slavishly copy this house....as I mentioned in my previous post, I have lots of other design influences to incorporate. But really, they all have these elements in common, so I'm sure I can blend them all together and come up with something nice. Once I add a little quintessential Aussie beach house loveliness...


source

...and of course, not forgetting a little Ralph Lauren magic, into the mix....

...I think it could be rather special. I'm working on a floor plan of my own, so as soon as it's done I'll share it too.

Have a great week everyone,

29 comments:

  1. Oh Kerri...what a dream home you have in the making...just stunning! I love that movie too..and Its Complicated..both those homes are just divine!
    Hope you are feeling better soon lovely...sending a virtual little pot of chicken soup your way ; ) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your own floor plan, I might just copy it too :) I have to get something's gotta give out again on dvd so I can drool.
    Hope you're feeling better now my dear!
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo exciting, I love the planning stage, so many possibilities!
    Without a doubt that house in something's gotta give is the most beautiful house I've seen in the movies. The table scapes are perfect.
    Can't wait to see more inspirations.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! Love the last few shots of Ralph Lauren - blue and white never gets old as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the first time I saw that movie, I was more focused on the house and decorating than the actual movie. That was the whole reason I watched it again too. Your home is going to be gorgeous. I know you wont slavishly follow your inspiration photo's, but the parts you adapt, added with your personal style is going to be beautiful. Excited to be following your journey.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see you incorporate all this loveliness. I love the Hamptons and beach house styles you have shared. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your ideas and inspiration pics Kerri - can't wait to see things unfold in your home x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kerri, I love all of your inspiration images so I am sure your new home will be something quite special. I can't wait to follow along your journey. Hope you are feeling better too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello back!... it's 'gunna' be perfect! I had to take a deep breath when I saw this post. Heaven. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful pictures, I love the interiors in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear that you haven't been well my friend. I hope you get better soon...real soon! Bet you look a whole lot better lying around than Jack does though! I love all your inspiration photos and can't wait to see what cleverness you come up with to combine the best bits. See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect, perfect I love it all. This will be one very gorgeous house no, I should say home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. perfect inspiration that place isnt it?!

    hope you had a lovely easter darl xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excited for you, jealous for me!! Enjoy the fun planning x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
    how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great plan Kerri! Looking forward to seeing it unfold! have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously love your style Kerri, cant wait to see what you come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to see what you come up with as your inspiration file seems full of such lovely images. I also adore the Something's gotta give house, and just in case you haven't seen it there is a good post over at Hooked on Houses.net.
    Hope you're feeling better
    P.S. Finally got around to ordering some of your art over on Etsy - I'm so excited!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never get bored with that home, years on its still is as timeless as ever, love her bedroom. so nice catching up as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. My kind of house...can't wait to see your plans!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would REALLY love to find out about the 'Queenslander' house with the two large palm trees and Jacaranda in flower.

    Where is it and the website where you got the image from.

    Gayle
    Ideas Woman

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Kerri,
    I am so happy to have found your fab blog!! I love love the house from "Something’s Got To Give"!! Great post! Hope you are feeling better!

    -Katie
    Acreativeinterior.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kerrie
    Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! I couldn't not post something today on your images, gorgeous, I adore the Ralph Lauren one and I am a real sucker for anything blue and white!! I am yet to get an image to you of my ginger jars but I am still planning on begging you to do an original of them. As soon as I get a decent image I'll email you. Have a wonderful day x

    ReplyDelete
  24. that beach house is AMAZING!!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That beach house is amazing!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it all!! Glad to hear you're feeling better. Something's Gotta Give has one of the all time greats in terms of movie sets, although I love the sets in all of Nancy Meyers' movies. Loving the Ralph as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't tell you how excited I am for you Kerri. I have no doubt you'll create something beautiful. Your inspiration pics are lovely. Don't we all love the Somethings Gotta Give house! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahhh you are like someone else I know, mum would pause every 2 minutes in the movie to capture the interiors! She also made us watch it a billion times however I absolutely love it so I was happy, don't know about Paul though! Great images xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great blog. I love the house. I haven't seen the movie yet but I will surely watch it soon after I saw your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails