Thursday, May 19, 2011

Inspired

Sometimes, inspiration can be hard to come by. I've had times in the past when painting has been a torturous process, and I've come to learn that often, it's other stuff going on in our lives that blocks creativity. Stress, upheaval...you name it, it can wreak havoc. Of course, these things can act as a catalyst for some artists, but for me, it's rarely the case. Lately, it's been the opposite - I have so many ideas, there's just not enough time to paint everything I'd like to. But that's quite a nice problem to have, so I'm not complaining. Here's an abstract I've just finished...a little departure from the detailed watercolour pieces.

'In Motion'
mixed media on canvas
500mm x 400mm (20" x 16")
(this will be listed on Etsy as soon as I sort out shipping costs - in the meantime, if you're interested please drop me a line and I'll give you a quote)

Not sure how well you can see the detail in this pic, but the circular patterning is in metallic gold. This is a smaller piece, and the first in a new series. In an upcoming post, I'll show you how to combine different works - abstracts on canvas, framed prints, watercolours etc to create a really unique and personal gallery. It's always nice to see rooms that have been put together over time, and it's also perfect if you can't afford to splash out on large artworks - a collection can be added to when time and money allow.

So, back to painting. I'd no sooner put the finishing touches to this piece when I saw this pic over on Jessie Lauren's gorgeous blog:



...which reminded me of this....









.

















...which led to this - a large diptych in moody blues. It's not quite finished yet, but here's a teaser:


'Glacial I & II'
mixed media on canvas
Diptych - each canvas 700mm x 700mm (28" x 28")


So, for those of you who've wondered about the process of creating art, I'm sure I'm not your usual case study! I'm terribly fickle at times, and probably a little scattered in my approach, but hey, that's just how it is. And it never gets boring, so that makes it fun too - there's always something new catching my eye. 

Hope you've all had a great day, and I'll see you tomorrow with the reveal of this latest piece.

18 comments:

  1. Kerri these are just amazing..absolutely love them both! Will you be selling prints of these also? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love expressing art with abstract also..being inspired by the simple things and creating beautiful work is so rewarding..i love them both i could definitely see them both hanging in my home ..well done kerri your work is always brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both beautiful Kerri! Can't wait to see the second one in full and it sounds as though your inspiration ups and downs are very similar to mine :) Have a lovely evening my dear,
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loooove this blue piece particularly Kerri!
    &
    It is so refreshing to hear you talk of *mixing* the artworks you love...
    they need to be set up in some Gallery form- and then they will fit together beautifully- no matter what their medium is!

    My brother teaches art- and this is a mantra he using daily with his students- combine what you love!

    Melissa xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerri, love the new pieces! What would we do without blogs, there is so much inspiration and I am so glad I could help in the process! Thanks so much for the mention look forward to seeing what else you come up with, so clever! XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the watered down paint effects on those paintings, I have toyed allot with with this medium, it's so thrilling to watch the paint track down into other colours or revealing colour underneath. I haven't painted for a while, those images have inspired me to play with some paint!
    Sarah

    (Loving my coral print I got in the mail thanks)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how much I love pink! I love how your styles can vary so much my friend. Versatility. That's what that is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your art is lovely Kerri. I dabble myself, but I am one of those that goes all out for a period, then stop for as much as 2 years. I admire your focus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for the reveal! Its looking great and oh the pictures you got your inspiration from are divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, your work is TO DIE FOR!!! I am obsessed with abstracts and yours is some of the best I've seen. I adore your use of saturated colors. Keep up the great work! Chic Rooms

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kerri I love, love the first and I have been experimenting in metallics with oils! Gorgeous palette.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Come and enter my New Giveaway from Serena & Lily! You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kerry, you are so inspiring! If only I could have half the motivation you have. I started a painting a few weekes ago which lasted about half an hour and then I painted over it! Frustrating. I need a kick in the bottom!
    Love all your colour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Kerri! The blue girl in me is in love with the last one. What a teaser to leave us with! J x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the 'In Motion' with pink and gold. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy do I adore these 2 pieces! Sooooooooooo gorgeous!! Keep it up!

    xoxo,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  16. "In Motion" is my new favourite. It reminds of the ocean but I don't know why given it's fuschia! Amber

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE these colors! I actually re-blogged it on my blog since I loved it so much :) Thank you for the inspiration! Your posts are always so beautiful!

    You can see my post here:

    http://blog.mauifengshuibykanoe.com/2012/07/the-perfect-guide-to-mixing-patterns.html#

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails