Monday, May 23, 2011

My kitchen makeover on Apartment Therapy

The lovely Kerry was kind enough to let me know that my kitchen makeover was again featured on Apartment Therapy (oops...totally missed it!). I know many of you would have already seen my re-do, but for those new to my blog, here's a recap:



For my original posts with all the before and after pics, and a breakdown of the project, pop on over here, here and here.

As an interesting aside, I'm always curious to see the comments left on posts like this. The majority of the kitchens featured all had one thing in common - the painting of timber/timber look cabinetry, and it seems that it can be a contentious issue. I noticed that a number of comments questioned the choice to paint:


..."why does everyone slather white paint to cover their natural wood cabinetry? some do make sense, but #8 looks like gorgeous wood to me. it seems like a shame to cover it up."

Now don't get me wrong...I love timber. I love the detail in the grain, the texture....but I have no problem painting it if need be. In our kitchen, the cabinetry combined with exposed brick, pine ceilings and dark stone floors, making the room dark, dingy and uninviting...and completely depressing. I've noticed that men, in particular, hate the idea of covering wood with paint...maybe something to do with the old 'man cave' theory?

To me, having an inviting, bright and airy home, filled with natural light, is the ideal. One of the most telling comments on my makeover was that many people had never noticed that we have a skylight in the room. The dark surfaces totally absorbed every last ounce of light. Now, the room is light and bright, and my only regret is that I didn't do it years ago.

So, I'd love to know what you all think about painting timber. Are you all for it, or do you think it's totally taboo? Or maybe you think it's a fad, and we'll all be reaching for the paint stripper and varnish?
Over to you!

19 comments:

  1. White on all surfaces have been a trend for the last few years here in Norway/Scandianvia, and its interesting that is getting more and more whit on the other side of the pond too.

    I am one of thoes having problem with painting wood whit. But mostly when it comes to carved and vintage furiture. But I love white! Actually I am in a dillemma...

    But your kithcen is amazing after the makeover. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kerri how great! So exciting to have a New Kitchen!!

    I have a great giveaway from Serena & Lily, do come and enter!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard the same mutterings from men on site when I painted over every one of my cedar windows. They just couldn't understand my vision. I reckon it's a 'man thing'. Could you imagine my Hamptons house with red cedar windows! I LOVE your kitchen transformation. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say paint away!! You are so right about men not wanting to paint wood. That has been an ongoing battle for me in my own life and in my professional life. I painted my 1970 wood cabinets in a pretty sage green and I have never looked back. Sometimes painted wood is needed in an enviroment. I love what you did,
    Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of painting over timber. Cheaper than replacing the whole lot and not as wasteful! I love your kitchen, great to see the pics again x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to be on Apartment Therapy. Your kitchen does look so much better. I love timber too, but sometimes things just look better painted! I really think it's a case by case matter.
    Have a great week Kerri! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paint away I say. Why not use paint if it improves things so dramatically? It's still timber! I love your kitchen, all your hard work was well worth it. Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all for it, have done it oodles of times and love it! On the other hand I have a good friend who thinks it is criminal to paint timber. It's just one of those very personal things :) Nicolex

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its a great idea to breathe more life in to wood cabinets and its sustainable because you reuse them. I would leave them if they were hand carved wooden cabinets but if not - go for it! My family has had this exact conversation for many many years about their kitchen cabinets - to paint or not to paint... I am so for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We also had a timber kitchen at the beach house. It was soooo dark. We painted the walls white, tiled the splash back with white tiles with gorgeous dots on them and then painted the cupboards. We painted our cupboards a taupe colour. The result is spectacular. My advice to anyone out there thinking about painting their old wood cupboards, is do it. Amber

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so impressed with your kitchen makeover Kerri and LOVED the choice of painting your cabinets white. We changed our wooden ones to white and it made such a difference to the feel of our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, you've convinced me to paint. I have a retro sideboard in excellent condition but now it doesn't go with everything else in the room. I SO want to paint it white but know that some people would be outraged. So what? It's only paint, right? Your kitchen looks a million times better in white! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it, My hubby has "issues" with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a fan of white on cabinet doors, it really brightens up the kitchen, the photos speak for themselves really!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the feature - it is well deserved. The kitchen is fabulous :O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. this is amazing. beyond glad I found your blog. I'm a new follower, I hope you will as well. I started my blog a little over 2 months ago after graduating from college in the South and moving across the counrty. It's all about celebrity fashion from the point of view of an LA stylist. Stop by to see multiple post a day on all the latest celebrity fashion news. Would love your support. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow that kitchen transformation is absolutely incredible!! what a great job done there, gives me hope for my tired looking kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a great job on your makeover. I'm not sure why men are all - 'that's solid wood' - when it comes to painting it, but that's a common man mantra! Drive's me nuts. I always say - it's still solid wood, just painted! And have you noticed, they say the same thing about brick!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails